The Congregation of Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians (MSMHC), the first indigenous Congregation in North East India was founded on October 24, 1942, at Guwahati, Assam by His Excellency Stephen Ferrando, SDB, the then Bishop of Shillong. The Congregation has five provinces in India and a delegation in Italy. The provincial headquarters are at Bangalore, Kolkata, Shillong, Tinsukia and Tezpur and the delegation headquarter is at Turin, Italy. It has 1167 members belonging to 53 ethnic groups working in 171 centres in India and 19 in other countries.
As a new frontier of the expansion of MHMSC mission, as per the invitation of Fr. Anthony Pinto (2004 – 2010 : Superior of Salesian Vice Province of Sri Lanka), they visited Sri Lanka and met Fr. Joe Almeida, the present Superior of the Salesian Vice Province of Sri Lanka on 6th May 2017.
Sr. Jane Francis (MSMHC General Councilor for Education) and Sr. Shelma Kuriakose (MSMHC Councilor for Education in Bangalore) were impressed by the hospitality and the encouragement of the Salesians of Sri Lanka to begin their mission with a sound and a solid foundation. We wish them all the best.